Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Flexible living....

Many of us are crippled from birth. The backbone of our standard for living comes fused into unyielding rules and regulations. We are rigid in our determination to control life's course and outcome.

We're sure, for example, how people ought to look, behave, and respond. Things have to be done a certain way - our way. We know, too, exactly how a godly marriage should operate; and we're quite familiar with the model of the ideal Christian family scene - which, of course, we intend to duplicate perfectly.

Then, real life sneaks up and whacks us from behind, seeking to break our unbending back and our stiff neck, threatening to paralyze us.

There is a cure. We are offered opportunity to exercise the suppleness of godly grace and perspective. Each time life throws us a punch, we can do a deep-knee bend, forcing our muscles of faith, hope, and understanding to stretch.

Eventually that brittle backbone will grow strong and supple, bending with the rhythms of grace yet standing tall and firm in the face of compromise.

All of this requires considerable daily "give". Such give is not a one-time choice but a lifestyle of generosity, spontaneity, and openess to truth.

How often I have thought that if I could give just one gift to my children-besides a heart for God- it would be the golden gift of flexibility.

Taken from A woman's devotional bible. Author: Susan L. Lenzkes

I read this devotional the other day during my quiet time and it just really struck me. I remember when I first got married I thought I was the expert on marriage. After my first child, I thought I was an expert on nursing, being a mom, raising kids...... but then I had those days that "whacked me from behind" and humbled me. I learned to listen to others advice, and not just pretend to listen but really listen. I also learned to extend the same grace to others. I met moms who were so sure their way was the right way and instead of getting defensive and angered as I would have in the past, I try to just smile and say "that's great that it works for you, but that is just not how it works for me".... then I say a prayer that they too will be "whacked from behind" a little..... so that they can realize too what I have realized...... and am still realizing each day. I also say a prayer that if I ever need to be "whacked" again, that I will be.... because I am far from being flexible all the time.... it's definetly a work in progress.....

I've had other moms say " I would never allow my child to do that, or I can't believe your child did that" only to find years later they too have had to deal with such things in their own children..... time has a way of teaching us all lessons.... even I have had moments when given a suggestion by another mom thought to myself "how in the world can they think that is a good option"... only years later..... to see that it was a good option and one that I now find myself trying with one of my children...

I'm still learning...... and I still struggle with thinking I know it all sometimes, and I still struggle with getting upset with other mom's who think they know it all.... but I'm striving to be flexible, and full of grace. Won't get there 100% on earth, but my goal is to daily strive for it....

No comments:

Post a Comment